Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Moon Festival





We spent most of the afternoon - and I mean hours - in the pool. This was Guohua’s first time swimming. Originally, she wasn’t going to go, but after a short time in the pool, she didn’t want to leave so we stayed and stayed. I have never been so wrinkled in my life! It was great fun though. I gave her piggy-back rides and helped her float. At first she was nervous just walking in the water as it is all up to her chin. So I just held her, or gave her rides. It was a great excuse for her to just hold on to me. I even got a kiss. Course Anna was not to be outdone, so I had two girls hanging on me - more like mauling me. We had a wonderful time.

Today is the Mid-Autumn Festival or the Moon Festival. At one time, when girls were kept more separate, this festival was a chance for them to get out and actually meet some boys. But now is it is more a family harvest holiday - which was perfect for celebrating our first week together with Guohua. We bought some lanterns that hold little candles in them and then walked around Shamian Island a bit and stood along the river with many others watching the moon. The river has many buildings lit up and boats shining with laser lights so very colorful. Afterwards, we came back and had tea and mooncakes (Crystal bought us some great ones!). Later, Guohua started watching the movie Esther - how cool is that? so we all sat and watched it. Now finally off to bed

No comments: